One of the underlying theories of hiring an outreach coordinator is that having someone IN the building will encourage the surrounding community to come on in. I’m a bit of a welcome mat, in that way.
So, the space is set up:
- The building has internet and WiFi.
- I’ve figured out how to work the answering machine.
- I’m in the building 8 hours a week.
- I’ve printed business cards and bookmarks.
- I can program the heating system up to a week ahead of time.
- Enhancing children’s spaces, both inside and out.
- Setting up a welcoming work space for me. Just yesterday, I found myself smiling when I noticed people stopping in the space for a conversation, or heading for my desk and finding that stack of scrap paper and pen I had left there on purpose.
- We are seeing about maybe getting our phone number put on a sign outside. No more hiding under a bushel!
Once people come inside, of course, we want an enriching connection for all of us, whether it is for a one-time rental, an art class, or a streamed program.
The Program Committee is about to meet for the first time. Individuals and meeting members are sharing their visions for programs and activities. There’s a sense that we are starting something new.
|One of my former students,|
looking "in" at a rock
The amazing part, for me, has been looking IN on the Meeting. People here have been sharing their ambitions for the Center, yes, and it is exciting. People have also told me about their pasts, their delights and disappointments, and their spiritual stock-taking. They are frank, they are loving, and they are not perfect. But, they all desire to be true to their Inner Teacher. They listen hard and try to live their truths. By adding Outreach, we’re not really starting something new so much as letting our own Light shine. For me, this time of finding each other is when the magic happens. I continue to be impressed and astounded by the gifts of others.
We’ve made a great start by opening the building. Now we are inviting people in. To echo a Pogo comic strip: Some of them is us!